Skip to Content Options:

COVID-19: Information from SPA/OSP/CGA

Resources for Faculty Disclosures

Faculty are required to complete many different types of disclosures related to their institutional responsibilities and sponsoring agency requirements. To assist with completing these disclosures we have put together a list of common disclosures for sponsored research.  This list excludes the routing form for sponsored programs, which is primarly completed by research administrators rather than faculty.

NOTE: This list is not all-inclusive. There may be other disclosures required by the University or a sponsoring agency. 

Disclosure Purpose Responsible Office Resources When
Current & Pending / Other Support

Form required by some federal agencies that captures ALL support including gifts, grants, and contracts from all non-US and domestic sources, including MSU project support.

A PI Certification question has been added to the Research Administration System routing form (Proposal Development)

For proposal submissions: Office of Sponsored Programs, Proposal Teams

For Progress Reports: Contract and Grant Administration, Awards Group

For additional information on the requirements by sponsor see: Current and Pending / Other Support Requirements by Sponsor

Most federal agencies require Current & Pending/Other Support to be submitted with the proposal submission (e.g. NSF, USDA), however, some require it at the Just-in-Time stage (e.g. NIH).

Any changes to Current & Pending / Other Support during the project period for awarded projects should be reported in technical/progress reports.

Outside Work for Pay / Appointments / Affiliations

Outside Work for Pay: In most cases, faculty members must receive approval prior to acceptance of outside work for pay and prior to acceptance of an assignment involving overload.

Outside Appointments / Affiliations: Outside appointments and/or affiliations may require disclosure or approval from the University to avoid activities that may interfere with the faculty members professional responsibilities at the Institution.

Academic Human Resources

Outside Work for Pay Policy

Outside Work for Pay FAQs

Dual Appointments Policy

Outside Work for Pay: Prior to acceptance of outside work for pay, and prior to acceptance of an assignment involving overload.

Outside Appointments / Affiliations: Prior to engaging in the outside appointment or making a formal affiliation.

Conflict of Interest (COI)

All MSU faculty, and academic staff with research, teaching, service and outreach responsibilities must submit an annual disclosure of all significant financial interests related to their MSU responsibilities.


Conflict of Interest: Faculty Conflict of Interest


Instructions on how to disclose

COI Frequently Asked Questions:

There are many different conflict of interest policies and regulations to which MSU must adhere. The procedures regarding how we disclose and manage potential conflicts of interest can be dependent on funding type, the nature of the relationship, sponsor type and associated laws and regulations. Conflict of Interest (COI) Frequently Asked Questions have been developed which cover the four main COI categories: 1) General (what, who, how to disclose); 2) State of Michigan COI law (Board of Trustees approval process) 3) Federal COI regulations; and 4) Small Business Research (SBIR/STTR) programs.

Annual Disclosures: Disclosures must be completed no later than one year after your initial disclosure or last annual disclosure, and every 12 months henceforth. Disclosures must be updated within 30 days of acquiring or discovering any new significant financial interest.

Project Disclosures: Completed with each sponsored research project routed in the Research Administration System. PHS/NSF agencies require project-based disclosures prior to proposal submission.


Global Activities e-Disclosure

Undisclosed working relationships between scholars in U.S. institutions and non-domestic entities (e.g., universities, companies and governments) have increasingly been of concern to American science agencies. This disclosure was developed to support faculty in the required federal funding agency disclosures and for transparency expected for open exchange. 

Office of Sponsored Programs

Faculty Conflict of Interest (FCOI)

Instructions for Completing the Global Activities e-Disclosure

Global Activities e-Disclosure FAQs

Link to the Global Activities e-Disclosure

Initial completion of the GAED should be done by March 8, 2021, and annually thereafter.

The form must be completed or edited within thirty days of acquiring any new resources or relationships with any non-U.S. entities or any change in global activities.


No Money Collaboration Done within MSU Appointment Many entities request that agreements are signed to document unfunded research collaborations. Having an agreement is considered a best practice to make sure interests are protected for all parties and any such agreements must be signed by an Authorized Official and must route through the Research Administration System.

Industry sponsors: Business Connect

All other sponsors: Office of Sponsored Programs

Prepare Proposal Development Document

PI Approval of the Proposal Development Document

Agreement Matrix

Manual of Business Procedures, Sec. 315: Includes resources on the types of sponsored research agreements that should be routed through OSP/BC/CGA.

Route a No Money Proposal Development document when an agreement is received, or collaboration activities will be done within your employment.
Invention/Patent and Copyright All university inventions should be disclosed to the university prior to disclosing via any other form of communication. MSU Technologies

Instructions on how to disclose

Patent Policy

Development of Copyrighted Materials Policy

Submit the appropriate disclosure form to MSU Technologies soon after the invention or work is conceived and before publishing your research.
Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) Questionnaire When materials, such as chemicals, plant materials, or software, are transferred between universities and other organizations for research activities, the MTA Questionnaire must be completed and sent to MSU Technologies (MSUT). MSUT will use the information either to complete a Material Transfer Agreement, or review an agreement sent to us from the other organization. MSU Technologies

MTA Questionnaire

MTA Web Page

Submit the completed, signed MTA Questionnaire form to the MTA Coordinator,, for the preparation or review of an MTA.
Export Control and Open Research Review Worksheet MSU is required to comply with a variety of U.S. Government statutes and regulations dealing with export controls and trade sanctions. ECTS developed the on-line Export Control and Open Research Review Worksheet (ECORRW) to help comply with these regulations. Export Control & Trade Sanctions

Export Control Procedures


Export Control Worksheet System

Submit an ECORRW when one of the circumstances on the Export Control Procedures web page has been met for a project or activity.
Human Subject Applications MSU IRB review and approval, an MSU exempt determination, or an MSU HRPP reliance acknowledgement for use of an External IRB is required for all projects that involve research or clinical investigations with human subjects conducted by faculty, staff, students, or agents of MSU before initiation of any human research activities. Applications are submitted in the Click Compliance System.

Human Research Protection Program (HRPP)


Information on the Click Compliance System

HRPP Help and Requirements

Application must be submitted and MSU IRB review and approval, an MSU exempt determination, or an MSU reliance acknowledgement  must be made by the MSU HRPP prior to initiation of human subject research activities.
Human Stem Cell Research Applications Review and approval by the Institutional Stem Cell Research Committee is needed for certain kinds of human stem cell research, including all human embryonic stem cell research and some types of human pluripotent stem cells research. Applications are submitted in the Click Compliance System.

Institutional Stem Cell Research Committee


Information on the Click Compliance System

Information on the Institutional Stem Cell Research website

Applications must be submitted and MSU Institutional Stem Cell Research Committee review and approval must be obtained prior to initiation of the human stem cell research activities.
Animal Care Applications Most activities involving animals on and off-campus are subject to regulatory oversight and require IACUC review and approval. Applications are submitted in the Click Compliance System.

Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee (IACUC)

Information on the Click Compliance System for IACUC

Application must be submitted and IACUC review and approval must be made prior to initiation of animal subject research activities.
Pathogens/Biohazards/Recombinant DNA, Hazardous/Regulated Chemicals, or Radiation Safety Tracking the use and disposition of hazardous substances will help protect the health and safety of research subjects and University employees and ensure a compliant workplace.

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)

Biological Safety

Chemical Safety

Radiation Safety

Hazardous Waste Management

Registration of materials and procedures is on the Click Compliance System for biological and radiation safety.  The Chemical Hygeine Plan provides guidance for the use of hazardous chemicals.

Contact EHS during the planning and before the initiation of any research when a project includes pathogens/biohazards/recombinant DNA, hazardous/regulated chemicals, or radiation.  Complete the US Homeland Security Chemicals of Interest Survey yearly and/or when chemical inventory changes.


Site Management